On this Page
Researchers may refer to the PPE Lab Coat Selection Fact Sheet for information on specific lab coat types. Selection of the appropriate lab coat for hazards encountered in the lab is determined by the Lab Hazard Assessment Tool (LHAT).
EH&S is working with USC Business Services to streamline/convert lab coat ordering to an online process. In the interim, please:
- Use the Lab Coat Order Worksheet to select lab coat type, size, and quantity.
- Complete the LHAT and attach it to the worksheet.
- Email documents to email@example.com for review and approval.
- Once approved by Lab Safety, you may: (a) route the worksheet to your purchaser or (b) create the order in eMarket if you have eMarket access (see eMarket Order Process).
eMarket Order Process
- Access eMarket through USC NetID.
- At main page, click “forms” under the Shop (search) box (see Figure 1). The *Procurement Forms landing page will appear (see Figure 2).
- Scroll down to “Non-Catalog (Goods) / Quantity-based payments” and select it (see Figure 3).
- Complete the order form (see highlighted fields in Figure 4) using the following information:
- Enter Supplier: Medico Professional Linen Services (American Textile Maintenance). NOTE: You may purchase lab coats from other vendors, however, you will need to have the lab coats RFID-tagged and barcoded by Medico for laundering services. See RFID a Lab Coat.
- Product/Service Description: Enter the type of lab coat (e.g., Nomex) and the size (e.g., XL). NOTE: To order additional sizes or other lab coat types and sizes, a separate line item for each lab coat type and size will need to be added to the Cart. See Step 5.
- Catalog Number: See table below for lab coat catalog number.
- Quantity: Enter number of lab coats requested.
- Unit Price: See table below for lab coat price.
- Commodity Code: Select number 18.
- Add attachment: Upload the Lab Coat Order Worksheet approved by EH&S.
Lab Coat Type Catalog # Description Price Nomex-CP KNR2RB Royal Blue/Chemical Splash Protection; snap front; cuffs $189.21 Nomex KNC2RB Royal Blue; snap front; cuffs $101.02 Flame Resistant Treated Cotton KLL6NV Navy Blue; snap front; snaps on cuffs $51.85 Standard Cotton 415 White; 100% Cotton $24.78 Fluid Resistant (barrier) BQW6623 White; 100% polyester; snap front; cuffs $21.88
- To add additional sizes, go to Available Actions: box at top right hand of form (see Figure 4) and click down arrow to scroll/select “Add to Cart and return”. A new non-catalog goods form will appear.
- Repeat Steps 4 and 5 for every new line item.
- When ordering is complete, go to Available Actions: box at top right hand of form and click down arrow to scroll/select “Add and go to Cart” to review items ordered and submit order.
NOTE: If lab coats are needed quickly, you may participate in the Lab Coat Loaner Program offered by EH&S (see Borrow a Lab Coat).
The Lab Coat Loaner Program provides research staff and faculty with appropriate lab coats on a temporary basis until permanent lab coats can be purchased and delivered. Additionally, the loaners may be temporarily substituted for damaged or inappropriate lab coat types (e.g., polyester blends) while new ones are ordered. Researchers may use the coats for up to four (4) weeks and request additional time as needed. Loaners are available at UPC and HSC EH&S offices for convenient pick up.
For more information, consult the Lab Coat Loaner Guide Sheet.
Lab Coat Laundering is made available to principal investigators and their respective research groups through a partnership between the university and Medico. Participation in the program is encouraged, but not mandatory.
- Pick Up/Drop Off (PU/DO) locations at UPC and HSC will remain the same. To locate the nearest PU/DO station for your building, refer to:
- Laundering service is scheduled weekly or bi-weekly for labs and lab buildings at UPC (Tuesday) and HSC (Friday). For more information, contact Medico (see below).
- It is recommended to withhold placing soiled coats in the soiled lockers until Medico can RFID-tag all lab coats. This avoids delays getting all your lab coats RFID-chipped and into laundry service.
DO NOT place lab coats without Medico RFID chips in laundry bags or soiled lockers! Without RFID chips, these lab coats may never return from the Medico plant. If you have un-barcoded lab coats or barcoded lab coats that you inherited, follow instructions on the RFID-Tag Lab Coat Guide Sheet to have RFID chips installed with new ownership information.
- Sample Lab Coat Inventory spreadsheet
- PPE Lab Coat Selection Fact Sheet
- Lab Coat Order Worksheet
- Medico Repair Tag
- Frank Rosario, Customer Relations Manager/Medico – (800) 464-6334 ext 279 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scott Donaldson, Service Manager/Medico – (800) 464-6334, ext 540 or ScottD@medicolinen.com
- Maynor Hernandez, Director of Customer Service/Medico – (213) 749-4433, ext 270 or email@example.com
- Stephen Gilbert, Buyer III/USC Procurement Services – (213) 740-9792 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- EH&S at (323) 442-2200 or email@example.com