All transfers of radioactive materials (RAM) between USC principal investigators and/or shipments to domestic and international destinations must be processed by Radiation Safety.

On this Page

Transfer/Transport by Motorized Vehicle

Regulatory restrictions require EH&S to move radioactive materials by motorized vehicle to USC locations even if inventory ownership does not change (except for limited quantities approved by EH&S). The completed form (Link) must be submitted to EH&S before RAM is transferred between:

  • Different USC principal investigators
  • Labs located in different campuses
  • Campus labs and the USC Hospitals

Note: A transfer form is not required when RAM is transported:

  • to locations on the same campus that are listed in Radioisotope Use Authorizations (RUAs).
  • between campuses in limited quantities and approved by EH&S.

Submit a Transfer of Radioactive Material form

Shipment to Domestic or International Destinations

EH&S processes the transfer of RAM to domestic or foreign destinations.

Submit a Transfer of Radioactive Material (Off-Campus) form

  • Complete Sections 1 and 2 on page 2 of theĀ Transfer/Shipment of Radioactive Materials form and print.
  • Provide contact information (name, phone number, fax, or email address) of the Radiation Safety Officer representing the institution where radioisotopes are intended to be transferred.
  • Email or fax the form to Radiation Safety; Fax: (323) 422-2201.
  • EH&S will verify information before shipping the RAM.
  • Shipping costs will be paid by the Principal Investigator or Department.

NOTE: Submit form at least one week prior to anticipated shipping date for domestic shipments; at least two weeks for international shipments.