On this Page
All lab areas that use and/or store radioactive materials must complete a radiation contamination survey every month. However, a contamination check after each experiment is highly recommended to ensure that the work surface is free of radiation.
Complete a Survey
- Follow instructions on the Radioactive Contamination Checks Fact Sheet to conduct a contamination wipe test and/or survey test.
- Use the Monthly Contamination Check Form to record data.
- If radioactive materials were not used in a given month, check the appropriate box on the form (no need to complete the rest of the survey for that lab).
- Sign and date the survey.
- Upload completed form into EHSA.
NOTE: The RSO may recommend different wipe test frequencies depending on the radionuclides and amounts used. Keep monthly surveys available in a binder on site. Survey results must be kept at the lab for three years.
Enter Results in EHSA
- Log into EHSA (all RAM Permit Holders and radiation workers can access EHSA).
- Select “Contamination Survey”.
- Select lab(s) on the RAM permit.
- Fill in required fields and “Save”.
See EHSA SOP Contamination Surveys – Principal Investigator for detailed instructions.
Quarterly EH&S Surveys
Per USC’s licensing requirement, Radiation Safety performs contamination surveys in lab areas (including common areas) on a quarterly basis as part of the EH&S lab audit program. Please contact Radiation Safety if you have any questions about the EH&S quarterly surveys.