This section describes requirements for the transfer of controlled substances. Controlled Substances, in small quantities, can be transferred between two DEA registrants with valid registrations and USC CSUAs.
|Transferor:||DEA Registrant transferring controlled substance(s) to another DEA Registrant.|
|Recipient:||DEA Registrant receiving controlled substance(s) from another DEA Registrant.|
The following criteria must be met in order to transfer controlled substances between DEA registrants:
- Transferer and recipient must have valid DEA registrations and CSUAs.
- CS being transferred must be schedule II, III, IV, or V drug.
- CS being transferred must be approved in the recipient’s DEA registration and CSUA.
- Transferer and recipient must be located on the same campus (i.e., HSC or UPC).
- Under no circumstances may a CS be transferred between the campuses or to other institutions.
- Transfer must be approved by the CS Program Manager.
Procedure to Transfer
The following procedures must be completed to comply with the Controlled Substance Transfer policy:
- Formerly request for CS transfer approval by completing the CS Form E-Controlled Substance Transfer Form.
- Transferer must complete Section A.
- Recipient must complete Section B.
- Submit completed form to the CS Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org for approval.
- Approved form will be signed and emailed back to transferer and recipient as receipt of approval.
- Transferer and recipient must each maintain a copy of the Controlled Substance Transfer form signed by the EH&S CS Manager.
- Transferer and recipient must immediately document CS transfer on subsequent Usage and Disposal Logs and maintain record for two years following disposal.
- During transit, controlled substances shall be placed in robust sealed secondary containment and may be carried by hand or pushed on a hand cart by an Authorized User.